View Single Post
Old 08-28-19, 06:43 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I have gotten 3 fits. One was free from a bike shop - that almost injured me. He also put me on a saddle that I told him was terrible on the spot. He didn’t believe me until I came back demanding a saddle that I figured was good on my own. But this was a free fit. Fair enough.

One was by a guy who was supposedly one of the best in the area. He did not use automated systems but he also didn’t charge much. He fixed one issue that had recently cropped up from my personal experimenting but not the nagging knee and IT pain that had plagued me for a while.

One was a $300 fit with automated assistance. He (correctly, in my opinion) prescribed me arch support and and cleat wedges. Unfortunately, the arch support turned out to be absolutely unusable because the heel padding was so thick that it defeated the heel cup. This, however, did not fix all my issues. I needed wide shoes, which should have been extraordinarily easy to determine, but I had to figure that out on my own, despite pleading no less than 5 bike shops to help me with my problem. Not one measured my actual foot to see my shoe size.

I also bought the “custom orthotics” from Retul thinking these would have a thinner heel but nope. Same issue. And the insole is mushy to boot.

Now, with wide shoes, a Specialized power saddle, cleat wedging, a setback and low saddle position, and shorter cranks (4 out of 5 of these adjustments were determined by me), I am closer than I have ever been to pain-free cycling. The low end Lake shoe I bought has too much padding and a very insecure heel cup so I might get a different shoe, and try more than 1 degree of wedging since I still get mild hotspots on the outside of my feet.

I would say, study bike fit as much as you can on your own, and experiment on your own. Bike fit right now is more of an art than a science, despite what all these companies might have you believe. bikefitjames is a good resource. Understand what the difference is between being conservative and being aggressive. You can go with a VERY short crank and not have any pain or discomfort. If you go with a long crank, you could blow your knee out. You can slide your cleats back all the way to your midfoot with few issues. Put them closer to your toes, and watch your foot and knee stability plummet. You can put your saddle quite far back and low like a beach cruiser and not experience too much pain. Set it too far forward and high, and you’ll get saddle sores, hip movement, calf over-recruitment, foot instability, numb hands, and quad issues.

If you’re not experiencing pain, discomfort, or extreme fatigue anywhere, don’t touch your fit. Seriously.