Old 10-02-18, 07:38 PM
feldy0084

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring saddle help- final piece to the puzzle

I realize this question is very hard to answer, since what works for one person won’t work for another…and everybody has their own preferences. But, I am looking for some alternative saddle choices that would be good for touring. I bought my first “real" bike 8 weeks ago and just completed my first overnight backpacking trip. Totally hooked. I want to go further, but the saddle is my only holdup left to make the bike completely comfortable. Not sure how to post a pic here, but I could do that to show setup.

My Salsa Vaya came with a WTB Volt 135 that felt just awful. I swapped it for a B-17 Flyer and have about 200mi on it. I realize the Brooks' have an extensive break-in period, but it just isn’t comfortable at all. I have experimented with moving it up (nut crusher), moving it down (slightly better, but the front part still really bothers me and instead of nut crushing, it feel more like perineum pressure). I have moved it back and forth without much help there either. My primary problem is the hard front of the saddle part putting pressure.

I have trekking bars and have my bars are above my saddle. I need to ride relatively upright due to previous medical issues. My drop bars were “ok,” but the b-bars seem to be supremely comfortable for me and my gamble on a conversion paid off. I don’t have enough funds to keep sampling saddles. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Would a wider leather saddle like a B-67 be going in the right direction? Maybe something with a cutout or a groove in it that is optimized for touring but non leather? A C-19? A nose-less saddle? I would preferably like something that I can tour in just bike shorts with and not the ones with the chamois pad. I feel like the butt padding helps me tolerate the hardness of the Flyer, but the crotch pad is SO uncomfortable to me!! It puts more pressure and makes the front part of the saddle hurt more!

Thanks guys