View Single Post
Old 04-07-19, 07:17 PM
bali biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
On the other hand, the heart is a muscle; and if you want it to get stronger you've got to challenge it. How much challenge is your decision because only you know what's good and right for you.

Sometimes when I'm riding my bike I have to remind myself that I'm not twentysomething and to slow down so I'm always concerned about my heart health. Although I've never been diagnosed with or have any heart issues, its still a concern I know I should have.

I realize it needs exercise to stay strong, but I don't want to go overboard either and break something. I know the heart is nothing to mess around with so I try to stay around 80% max. Unless the workout is a challenge, its not going to do you much good.
It is not the heart they are worried about. It is the vascular system, aerortic valves etc. As you get older the vascular system can lose its flexibility. When this happens you can a rupture or weaken a blood vessel lining I cant remember the layer name. When the layer weakens your body which is natural healer tells your liver to create plaque to seal the abrasion of the artery. Causing plaque buildups for the majority of people hence why some people who are fit still need bypass sometimes. You have a healthy heart muscle and still have vascular issues. So my advice when you get older is have calcium scores performed on your heart take it easy on your system when needed even if that means riding an electric assisted bike when you still love cycling. Hope you understand there is more mechanical parts than the pump.