Old 06-26-19, 09:23 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy Biker
Maybe a slow fat lab. I had one chase me on the flats a few weeks back. Got up to about 20mph then gave up. But remember, something like a grayhound, whippit, borzoi, or irish wolfhound, (basically the sight hounds) can really move. I think a fast grayhound can reach 40+mph.

Steve
-always carry dog treats, the quickest way to a dog's heart is through his stomach
Of all of these dogs, the greyhound will definitely catch you - maybe the whippet - the other two? unlikely. The difference is that greyhounds are bred for function - speed and visual acuity - borzois and wolfhounds are bred for appearance, and have long ago lost any functionality. All the wolfhounds (several) I have encountered were dumb as posts and lumbered rather than ran - and they're pretty delicate - their size is really too much for their bones and joints. We used to have a few racing hounds - great dogs, smart but completely undomesticated - good-natured wild animals. The thing is, though - they're chasers, not biters. We used to take our hounds to a large field near our house, my dad would stand maybe 1/8 mile away, whistle to the hound, who would run like a mad bastard to him. Then I would whistle, and he'd run back to me - rinse and repeat. Once in a while he'd get distracted by something - a jogger, a passing train - and he's take off after the new distraction. When he caught up to the jogger, he'd stand there, wide-eyed and tongue out, essentially asking "what's next?" until we arrived and retrieved him.