Old 07-04-19, 10:38 AM
BeeRich

Bikes: MEC Côte, Ironhorse MT700R, a Spinner, Nishiki Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Replacing & Tensioning Spokes on Tour

Hi folks. Just wondering how to properly tension a replaced spoke while on tour.

I have a cyclocross bike that was repurposed by MEC (mec.ca) as a touring bike. Love the thing. Anyway, it has disc brakes, which means braking tension for my tank is put upon the hub, not the rim. So rim gets yanked on when braking, which turns into high tension on spokes, and hence breaking of said spokes.

At least that's my theory.

I have to replace broken spokes on the run, when I have time. I don't have enough space for any tension tester of any size (the tank is heavy enough without specialized tools), so I was thinking someone might know how to test the spoke tensions while on the run.

Also, how to best optimize spokes while on the run, as I want to avoid the odd tight or loose spoke so I don't get any breaking at all. This is a tough one as I know little about wheels.

Cheers. Enjoy the pics.

My fix-it kit, on a ferry from St. Malo, France, to Portsmouth, England.

The path from Bordeaux to Carcans and the west coast of France. Nice playground.

MEC 2011 Cote touring bike. It's an aluminum cyclocross bike with braze-ons. I replaced the handlebars with proper touring round bars. Also replaced toe clips.

The small number of spokes I've had break on me, did so at the nipple here. Smells like a tension problem.