View Single Post
Old 03-13-20, 09:59 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjpjp
So, I've been keeping an eye on CL for dropbar conversion contenders for general gravel riding and some touring for the summer and recently came across this Raleigh Mountain Tour, which seems to be in decent condition.

I've never done a dropbar conversion before and was wondering how well you all thought this would hold up to it. One of my concerns is wheel size. The other is weight. I couldn't find much information on the Mountain Tour, so any would be helpful!

Appreciate it!

CL link: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...088426016.html

"Fully set up Raleigh commuter bike. The model is called Mountain Tour. Has served well as a commuter bike for me and does not look great but always makes the 20 mile round trip with no issues. Large frame, seat height set for 5' 11" rider in photo so will fit taller riders.

Has Shimano Alivio trigger shifters and brake handles, a Deore rear deraleur and 8 speeds in back, 2 in front.

Includes older pair of Ortlieb top roller panniers. Worn and need new closure buckles ($3 each from Ortlieb or ebay) and beaten up. Fenders are in good shape and really help on wet days. Tires are bulletproof Schwalbe Marathons, best commuter tires that I have found, very puncture resistant.

Price is firm and a great deal. A new pair of Schwalbe Marathons are nearly my asking price for everything."
This is the Raleigh Elkhorn Mountain Tour, and when I search specifically for the "Elkhorn," it looks like people generally like this bike quite a bit. I zoomed in on a pic, and it looks like these tires are 559, so 26-inch. Worth a look.