Old 06-22-19, 07:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Club blocking the MUP
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Much better than having them riding towards you taking up the whole path, like a local MTB group that is generally 30 riders strong likes to do while staring at their front tires.
Or conversely as described on this thread, “Fewer Riders Announce?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Spinay70
I have noticed that when i am out riding and get passed by a 'serious' rider, they rarely announce. I have also seen them buzz past unsuspecting walkers without a word.

This past weekend i spied a 'serious' rider approaching fast in my rear view and they ended up zipping by without any word...and quite close as well.
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I just headed out to our local-ish MUP for the first time this year a couple days ago. I love riding it, because it's a welcome break from my hilly and traffic-filled neighborhood, but the number of "serious riders" buzzing us on road bikes without announcing is irritating as heck.

It takes so little effort to announce, or to ring a bell - just have a touch of courtesy. I tend to be about mid-paced for the trail - I pass a lot of slower riders, and I get passed a lot. I always announce, and usually get thanked for it.

Ride fast, ride your ride, but be courteous. My favorite was on a ride last year when not only did he buzz me with about a foot to spare, and no announcement, he spat to the side after he got in front of me and it blew into my face.
From the now closed thread. “On Your Left”:
As a mirror wearer, I like to wave if I see a cyclist coming up from behind, and say hello when they get close, with the intention of (gently) surprising them before they surprise me.

An upcoming paceline makes me think of a school of piranhas.
… Rte 4/225 from Lexington westward is one of my favorite long (about 70 miles) training rides from Boston; and then I return by way of Harvard.

Last year, for about 3-4 hours along the route, starting in Boston, I was passed by wave after wave of strong riders on the B to B Harpoon ride going up to Vermont.