Old 09-16-18, 08:16 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,509 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorKnox
Thanks! It's a 22".

Have you posted pictures of your 950 anywhere?

I've been thinking about trying a set of Rat Trap Pass tires. Do you think there is a significant enough difference between them and the Maxxis DTH to make them worth the extra price? I know that's a real broad/subjective question, but I'd be interested in your opinions since you have both.
Since my 950 has an upright type bar I will be posting it on the thread labeled
(Vintage MTB to Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions) . I hope to do that in a day or two.

As to the tires, from my perspective the Rat Traps do surpass the Maxxis DTH tires.
The Rat Traps roll really well for me and I think the extra dollars buy a higher quality tire.
There is just an extra something, something about them. Someone more articulate can add a better description.

Mine are the standard not the extra light.
Even at that they are about 100 grams lighter than the DTH tires, around 450 g's vs around 550g's.

A tire more comparable to the DTH's are the Tioga Power Blocks. They both come in at about 550 g's.

From my perspective the DTH and Powerblocks are a toss up and seem pretty equal for my riding.
Both are folding and decent quality tires and roll well in my view. I like them both but still have to give the edge to the Rat Traps.

That said at my slow riding speeds I am not too fast on any of them but I have fun on all my bikes.

I do find I have to pay more attention to the Rat Trap's air pressure.

I am glad to have the options in good tires as I cannot justify the cost of Rat Traps on all my bikes.

I usually have at least 3 vintage mtb's rolling and sometimes 4.

I think the vintage no suspension mt bikes are
terrific and so versatile to build up at a modest cost a variety of ways. The fat street tires one can fit on them
really cushion it for my old bones.

I've lost a complete count but I must have been through a couple dozen of them counting the ones I built up for friends and family.

Over the next month I hope to get another one built up from bare frame and fork.

Enough rambling, hope some of that helps.

It's pretty subjective and really just my 2 cents worth.