Old 10-30-19, 12:09 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Hello/Intro/Looking for advice

Hi all,
I've been reading this forum quite a bit and have found it both helpful and a little overwhelming with as much as is now available. So I'll try to give a brief synopsis of my situation and plans, should any of you have advice.

- I am 53, 6'2", a man, and currently weigh 265 lbs. I'm working on the weight and have progressed quite a bit. In May, 2018, I weighed 440 lbs. It hurts to admit that, but yeah. I'm hoping to be under 250 by year's end and near my goal weight of 190 around next summer.
- I'd like to start riding a bike again, but it's been about 30 years. I've been hiking/walking a lot as well as spending quite a bit of time on an exercise bike.
- Some of my weight ballooning started after a hiking accident a number of years ago followed by a botched surgery and long hospitalization. There were other contributing factors, but mostly it was my being stupid. A lingering issue, however, is that I twist one foot out a bit when walking and on the exercise bike. Using the pedal strap on the exercise bike helps, but I have to be careful not to hit the bar with my heel.
- I was originally thinking of getting a bike next spring, but I'm being increasingly tempted to get one for at least a few fall rides. Until recently, however, I was too embarrassed to consider stepping foot in a bike shop.
- I do not plan to ride on roads, even though I live in a rural area. I had some close calls 30 years ago with aggressive and distracted drivers, and it seems to have gotten worse (and vehicles larger). Fortunately there are a couple rail trails in the area and a few parks with some nice gravel and dirt bike trails.
- So I'm intrigued and a bit overwhelmed by the available options. From what I've read so far I'm currently thinking about a hybrid, gravel bike, or possibly rigid mountain bike. I'm even more confused with pedal option, especially given the lingering foot issue. And I'm hesitant to walk into a bike shop, as even with the progress so far I'm still an obese, middle-aged man.

So, any advice? Hellos? Diet/weight loss discussion? Thanks!