View Single Post
Old 10-30-19, 10:37 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Noticed your post had gone unanswered for a few hours.

Welcome to the Forum!
I'm also new here and back on the bike after many years in an attempt to further/speed along (pun intended) my own weight loss.

I'd suggest going a couple of local bike stores, finding something you like, is in budget, comfortable, and returning to the forum for opinions on your selection prior to purchase.

I hate to see the new guy's post go unanswered, but seeing as you didn't ask a specific question, responses tend to be a little slower.

All the best

Barry
Thanks. I'll need to try a few shops to get more specific questions, but I wanted to see if anyone had general advice so far, and to give an intro.

Originally Posted by good4u
Don't worry about the bike shop. I bought two bikes in the last three years at a weight near yours. Ask questions about the different bikes. Maybe look at the manufacturers websites to get some idea of what bikes you'll see. Another thought is to look at used bikes but be very vigilant at getting one that fits.

A thought about the twisting foot would be to get a clip for that pedal and leave the other foot loose.
Thank you. I've been looking at what shops are in my area and what they have to get some idea, as well as some manufacturer websites. There's also a bike co-op about an hour's drive away I may stop in to see what's there. I think using a strap for the one foot may work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Rigid mtb with flat pedals. A durable bike with easy gearing. Bike shops get all sorts of customers. If you don't act like a dick they will appreciate your business. Enjoy!
Thanks, also. It's looking like that may be the best option for the places I want to ride. It's been decades since I've visited a bike shop, but I remember them being pretty cool places (except for one which no longer exists, and I was a lot younger and in shape back then). I imagine when I do pick one I'll feel a bit guilty I can't buy a bike from each good shop I visit.