Old 11-06-19, 03:12 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
It was very cool, and I hope to make it to one of the maintenance and repair classes over the winter. It's about an hour's drive away for me, but I'm occasionally in the area while doing some other volunteer work.

Cool, thanks!

They help with larger shoes as well? Thanks. I have one 13.5" shoe (and one 12.5").

Thanks for the advice and ideas. I'm aware my story is not unique, and I was glad to see this section of the forum, which is why I first posted here. I have noticed the occasional snootiness so far, but it's mostly been positive and welcoming. I can say that for a number of interest-communities. As for budget, I wasn't thinking of anything near 3 grand. As for the road riding, mostly my family is worried, so I promised I'd avoid roads. To sum up, the two most avid road cyclists we've known were both killed while riding, the second one a few weeks ago. I may consider it sometime later, but for now there are a few nice trails in the area, including an asphalt rail trail. Thanks again.
That's tough. I guess it just all depends. I don't know anyone that has been killed. I have heard of people here and there but I have not known anyone personally that was killed while riding. To have known 2 is out there to me. That would freak me out too. I just feel that there is not much I can do on the road to protect myself that I am not already doing. That is except for the fact that I could choose not to ride on the road but to me, I don't even consider it. I guess it all depends on where you ride too. Not saying that you could not get hit on the safest road in America but I don't ride in congested areas. A man has got to know his limitations.

3 grand for a bike is not that much, really. It "sounds" like a lot but it really is not. My first bike was on special at around 900 but I am sure you can even do better than that. There are probably leftovers from last year and you should be able to get a deal on a 2019 model instead of the new 2020's. Good luck and pedal on.

john