Old 01-15-20, 06:59 PM
t1k

Bikes: C&V primarily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
(Off topic - I am almost certain I built t1k's e-bike!)
Small world! Yes, you did build my e-bike, indeed. And you also gave me some great tips on the e-bike use and maintenance when we spoke on a phone
Thank you, so much for all the help. The e-bike is my to go commuter and I love it.

Bike mechanic (7 years full time in a pro shop) and 12 year Calgary winter commuter - KMC rust resistant chains and Prolink chain lubricant are my top recommendations for the conditions here. And some Tri-flow for derailleur and brake pivots.
What chain do you use for your e-bike? I assume e-bikes require stronger chains?
I'm curious what's your chain lubrication routine? Do you wipe the chain after lubrication? What do you do with greasy rugs?

But also: TAKING THE BUS when it's minus freaking thirty. NOTHING works the same way at -30 as it does at +10, and the weather here swings from one to the other too quickly to make it realistic to try and repack bearings etc.
Luckily (or unfortunately, depends how you look at it) I have a car and can just drive to work. I don't like driving, but on -30C days everyone drives so slow that the driving is somewhat enjoyable.

Frozen freewheels are usually from water getting inside; frozen freehub bodies are sometimes water, sometimes the grease thickening in the cold.
Have you ever experienced sticky freehub issues with your e-bike?

If it's the grease thickening issue, then I'll just ignore it. But if the sticking is due to the water in the freehub then I should do something to prevent rusting.

Last edited by t1k; 01-15-20 at 08:05 PM.