Old 11-10-17, 08:46 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Hey List members,

I have thoroughly enjoyed, been thankful for, learned from and participated in the Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions thread.

Since that thread is for Drop Bar conversions and I didn't consider it appropriate to share bikes with other than drop bars I decided to try a thread with conversions of these
vintage no suspension mt bikes into upright bars / urban bikes / city bikes, road tire bikes.

( I think I did share an upright bar conversion at least once on that great thread.)

Perhaps another name would describe these conversions even better but a vintage mt bike that has been converted to other use with upright bars and road tires is the gist of it.

Even the name city bike, urban bike, urban cruiser does not quite encompass the idea probably
as these bikes can be ridden wherever, country or urban areas.
Some would be even appropriate for 'gravel grinding' , a term I have been hearing a lot.

At any rate they are versatile bikes that can be used for a myriad of conversions and uses.

Since they can be obtained fairly inexpensively and converted for not a lot of money
they have really caught my attention.

Feel free to share what you have done in this manner of vintage mt bike / mtb conversions
even if it is as simple as changing over from knobby tires to street / road tires.

Also what stems, bars, tires, racks, parts, etc that have worked well for your purposes.

I have several I will share as soon as I locate pictures I have of the bikes.

Pictures a must as most of us get frustrated with a descriptions without pics.

This thread may turn out to be of little interest but we will give it a try.

Thanks everyone.

Here's my 1990 Rockhopper I use for my errand running bike when I need to carry groceries, etc.

That's a Sunlite North Road bar (alloy version) and 26 x 2.35 Michelin Pilot Sport tires (now discontinued) on it.

I will add that the Dallas / Ft Worth area does not have scenery such as this.
I took the Rhop, as I call it, with me this past summer to Colorado on vacation. I was mighty glad for that 26T? granny ring
when climbing up to 9300 ft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170731_103638a.jpg (139.8 KB, 5969 views)
File Type: jpg
20170730_165119a.jpg (224.8 KB, 5940 views)

Last edited by cooperryder; 11-10-17 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For cooperryder: