Thread: Addiction LXXVI
View Single Post
Old 10-25-19, 01:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hey I need a reality check, at least from those who are employed.

I just saw a patient who I have known for over 15 years. He said he was probably going to see a different doctor in the future. His reason? His wife (a nurse) interviewed for a job with my organization (different office) and was given an offer but told that health benefits have a 60 day "wait," and he thought that was unfair and mean.

I asked my office manager and she seems to think this is pretty much standard operating procedure for the 21st century.

Any thoughts or feedback?

I told the patient I am sorry about the situation and respect his decision if he wants to get his care elsewhere. He was pretty firm about how he felt.
In the manufacturing sector, particularly petrochemicals, that is not standard. Health care benefits begin immediately and include open enrollment no matter what time of year you start the new job. Pre-existing conditons are generally covered. Now savings plans are a different story, often not kicking in for a full year. But the prospective employee could utilize COBRA to bridge the health care benefits gap, so even though the policy is not particularly generous, it should not cause a hardship.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...