View Single Post
Old 03-04-20, 07:43 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I get the sense you're looking for someone to rebuild for you, so this advice may be totally fruitless, I'm just sharing an experience you may find interesting.

You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish on pedals without a teardown and rebuild. If you remove the pedal cap, then spray in a light petroleum-based product like PB Blaster, which dissolves even the hardest and oldest of hardened grease, then spin freely for a couple of minutes to really work it around, then blow it all out or flush, you can manage a fairly significant cleaning. I keep a small crock pot on my shop table, remove all the plastic parts from the pedal, then run a pedal at a time overnight, the latent heat will evaporate any water after draining (or you can bake at 150-170°F for 20min). After drying and cooling, follow back up with a syringe of your preferred grease and work it around. I learned this trick (not sure if "trick" or "hack", but whatever) from one of the veterans at a shop I worked at decades ago as a late-teen.

Granted, this won't give you a chance to look at the races to see if they're in good shape. It won't replace worn bearings or races. It *will* flush out caked grease and grit, then replace with a good lube, and get your pedals spinning freely again - just doing the PB blaster spray will accomplish that, but it will also liquefy any grease inside and/or lower its viscosity. I've used it a number of times on pedals in the bin I use for my flip bikes and on our kids smaller BMX bikes.