Old 03-12-20, 10:02 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Patina Preservation: Am I on the right track? - Raleigh Tourist DL-1

What is the best way to remove surface rust? After rust is removed/halted, what is the best way to preserve/coat the affected areas? Are there any other steps I should include in the plan below? Suggestions welcomed.

I have a '75 Raleigh Tourist DL-1 I enjoy cruising around nearby Lake Como or when I feel like a leisurely cruise:

It's in pretty good shape over all, but the fenders have a bunch of rust:

To treat the rust on the fenders (I'll be leaving the frame alone as the paint is in pretty good condition), I am planning to use a brass wire wheel on a Dremel. I've also read that people use a single edge razor blade to scrape off larger rust spots, so I might give that a try as well if the wire wheel can't handle some spots.

Once the bubbly, powdery rust is removed, I'm planning to scrub (formerly) rusty areas with Barkeepers Friend - avoiding paint when possible since I understand it is a mild abrasive. I'm hoping the Oxalic Acid in Barkeepers will also take care of some of the rust. Would using Ospho at the point be redundant or have some unintended consequences?

Finally, after rinsing and drying, I plan to use tips I kindly got from Prowler to coat the fenders in boiled linseed oil (BLO). A treatment of BLO seems to be a pretty C&V appropriate way to add a little sheen to the less shiny fenders and to give them a little protection for all the fine work they've done to keep the frame protected.

Any suggestions to improve my plan would be appreciated.

Last edited by thorstein; 03-12-20 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Make mouse-over add to post info.