View Single Post
Old 04-29-20, 06:41 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I had a stark reminder of this recently. I'd done far more running during Dec., Jan., and February of this year than I usually do (almost none) in anticipation of a military course I had to attend where my running would be tested. After so many years of service my knees are hating life, and all the running I did during those months really pounded my knees. I took and passed that test with flying colors, and struggled to just walk normally for several days afterwards. I returned from that course right at the start of the Virocalypse lockdown, and haven't run a step in weeks, and have done far less cycling than I'd intended. I should be feeling terrible about the way I've failed to reach my cycling goals, but on a recent long ride I noticed just how much better my knees are feeling. They just needed some time off, and though I didn't plan it this way, they got it, and they're doing much, much better now. Sometimes you just gotta stop and let the body have the time it needs.
Thats brutal. I don’t run at all, knees don’t like it one bit.

And I am a big believer in resting up, listening to my body, and rest days.

I have to say that I don’t train anywhere near what a lot of people out here do.

Before the gyms closed, I lifted 3 days a week for around 30 minutes and did cardio 3 days.

Now, I’m strength training 6 days a week but really only 20-30 minutes and in a “light” 10-20 rep range with body weight lifts and cycling for 45 minutes to an hour every other day.

I definitely keep my diet solid and rest well.

It’s all about keeping it sustainable.