Old 06-11-20, 02:11 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
1971 Peugeot PX-10 Time Capsule

I bought this 1971 PX-10 a few days ago and it appears to be completely original and very low mileage. The tires are possibly original, as the rims show very little wear on the braking surfaces, but any maker's name has long since disintegrated. The chainrings, though greasy, are not worn, and the freewheel teeth are in very nice condition. I believe the Sedis chain may be original as well, and if so, is in amazing condition. The Brooks Professional saddle is in great shape, but a bit stiff, so I have a tin of Proofide on the way. There are a few scuffs and scratches in the paint, but nothing serious. There's a city license sticker dated 1975 on the seat tube. Unfortunately the Delrin front derailleur mount is cracked in the typical location. A friend is sending me a replacement.

Everything seems to be correct. It has Stronglight 93 cranks with 45/52 chainrings, Stronglight headset, Ava stem and bars, Mafac Racer brakes, Lyotard 45CA pedals with Christophe clips and Lapize straps, Normandy Luxe Competition hubs with Mavic Montlery Championnat du Monde rims, and a Cyclo Competition freewheel.

The best part is, it's my size (52ctc). Plans are for a complete, sympathetic refurbishment to put it back on the road. A Stronglight crank puller is on the way, as is a set of Kool Stop brake pads. I'll be buying replacement cables as soon as I can find some in stock (any suggestions?).

Last edited by Brad L; 07-15-20 at 01:02 PM.