Old 06-11-20, 08:40 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26423 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Plans are for a complete, sympathetic refurbishment to put it back on the road. A Stronglight crank puller is on the way, as is a set of Kool Stop brake pads. I'll be buying replacement cables as soon as I can find some in stock (any suggestions?)
...these were popping up on the local CL here about ten or fifteen years ago in the $400 range, so I've reworked a total of six of them, and I sent one frame that was too big for me to Frank the Welder some years back as well. My suggestion (if you plan on using it for a regular rider and plan on riding it fast), would be maybe rethinking your ideas on what a sympathetic refurbishment might involve.

These are a great starting point for a fun ride, but there are certain parts of the original equipment that have been so improved over time, that replacing them with something more practical makes sense. If you are more interested in a complete, original, as it was first sold project ignore anything I say here.

The stems they put on these in this time period usually suck, and although your original stem and bar there are probably good for a while (because little ridden), eventually the bar will start to sag and the stems are prone to breaking. The solidest and most easily sourced practical replacement is something scrounged used from a made in Japan or made in Taiwan scrapper, with a forged stem (like an SR) and a bar with a center sleeve reinforcement. You'll need to sand down the insertion of the stem to fit the 22.0 steerer, but that takes only minutes to accomplish. The original derailleur in the front are junk, and replacing one that has already self destructed with another (that will eventually also self destruct), makes no sense to me. There are plenty of front derailleurs that will work, but the clamp needs to fit down small enough to go on the metric 531 frame tubing, which is smaller than the other stuff.

I've got wide feet, so those original pedals don't work for me. Your feet might be different. And I would rather not ride on tubular tyres and rims, because they are a royal PIA. Those original hubs are great, MAFAC brakes are good to wonderful, I genuinely like Stronglight cranks, and the rear derailleur is workable, if you don't push it or try to get too much range out of it. They were the introduction to a nice, 531 framed bike for a lot of us, because they sold them cheaper than most anyone else managed to do for a similar 531, brazed frame. So iconic in that respect. Enjoy yours.

A couple of pictures of ones I have reworked, so you can see how what I'm talking about looks, and decide if you can live with it.

Prugnat

Nervar
Likes For 3alarmer: