View Single Post
Old 06-13-20, 01:40 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Did the Zwift race, ended up with around 8' at about 5.1 w/kg, which for me is 333 w. Very surge-y as well. That got me 12th/105. It was a mass start with all categories (one lap volcano), only about 40 A's. The Zwift race thing is kind of interesting, def. some different strategies involved than normal road. I look forward to trying more! A few times during the race I would surge over a small roller and find myself at the front, but backing off to let people pass doesn't work the same way as IRL, I would get passed by like 15 people. I think it favors a much more steady effort than real racing. I wonder what a more consistent power would have done for me as far as energy in the last 0.5 miles goes.

More TT work on Fiesta this morning, 30' or so at SST. Actually stopped at 28' b/c my legs were pretty sore, I think from last night and lack of recovery (stretching). It's been a rest week so my TSB is high and I'm not tired, just have some sore legs on a micro level.

Rest day tomorrow.
I still really haven't found the the key to winning races in Zwift, but you definitely have to be in the front group at the start (which can be hard because sometimes its all out for 2 minutes) and solo breaks are close to impossible. Since I have no sprint, my technique has always been to get in the lead group, and whittle the group away via attrition and try to get away in the last 5 minutes. It almost works in hilly races, never on the flats.

So its kind of like RL, get a sprint = win races.

I stopped racing the B's because I'd always get in the selection group but lose in a sprint; not enough power to get away. I can probably do 4.5 for 5m but I'd need 5. In the A's I'm mid pack, but I'm being pushed to do more because the pace is faster and there are targets ahead.