View Single Post
Old 06-29-20, 01:37 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Used Ergo levers are always a bit of a gamble. You never know where they're going to be in the wear cycle. I did a rebuild once and found that I just don't have enough patience to enjoy it. For second and third generation, you can get complete replacement shift assemblies for around $100, which is worth it to avoid a rebuild in my book. Of course, that depends on the bodies and blades being in decent shape.

What is it about Campy levers that such a high percentage of them have crash damage? I know they're more likely to have been used for actual racing than most components, but it seems like it's rare to find a set of Campy Ergos that don't have at least some road rash on the brake body.
Absolutely a gamble. I was trying to keep the cost down enough that I might rover most of the investment in $.
I think that the only Campy parts that are offered are those that have road rash! Most people would keep the parts otherwise. The explanation from the seller of the Chorus was the preplacement of the 10 speed with 11 speed. Claimed they worked fine when he retired them a few years ago. I think the move to 11 was inspired by the damage in his crash!
RDs suffer the same issue. Unless you buy NOS or near NOS they all have road rash on the upper pivot of the parallelogram links. That is the first place I look. FD suffer from a lot of wear on the inner plate, as might be expected. Gotta watch out for missing or substitute HW too!