Old 12-05-08, 11:35 AM
Cycle Snack

Bikes: Quiring Qball 29er, Iron Horse MKIII, Mongoose Switchback, Fetish Fixation, Bridgestone MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a few jobbies that were saved from certain destruction:

Mongoose D-60, OK, I know Big Box store POS, but this bike has classic roots like a Unified Rear Triangle (URT) meaning the cranks and drive train are all one piece and the suspension is above it. I rebuilt this bike into a SS 69er that I called the Dumpgoose. It basically road like a comfort bike and was fun for riding with the with the kids on rail trails. I ended up selling it and realized, after the fact, that I should have tried it as a fixie.

Bianchi Classica, found on the side of the road after it wouldn't sell for $10 bones at a tag sale. Turned it into a fixie commuter and later sold it for $400 clams.

Peugot UO-8. I think this has been the oldest bike that I have saved from the breakers. The one that I had, from what I could tell was somewhere between 1971 and 1973. I ended up taking off the saddle (Brooks Racer), pedals with clips, the wheels, and the chain - essentially everything that was standard and trading the rest of the bike for two seat posts to a guy that loves French hardware.

1975 Raleigh Super Carlton. Unfortunately, no pictures at this point because it's still in a state of disrepair. Got this bike from a buddy for a six pack of Bass Ale. Plan for it is as a fixie commuter with mustache bars and fenders.

1992 Bridgestone MB-5, 1984 Nishiki Cascade, Huffy woman's Cross Tech (circa late 80s or early 90s), still made in America frame. All three saved from the town dump. The plans for the Bridgestone and Nishiki are fixed gear conversions. I might powder coat the Nishiki pink or safety orange first. As for the Huffy, strip for parts. The BB shell is one of those cheapo oversized deals that I don't see much value in trying to convert to fixed although the frame would be perfect. Still, at least some of the parts will be recycled.