View Single Post
Old 07-29-19, 09:38 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
This thread is a bit confusing to me. There were lots of non-racers, kids, families, etc enjoying the racing at the Elmhurst venue of the Intelligentsia Cup on Friday:

It's also worth noting that spectating at a crit race like this is likely a very different experience than watching a stage of a road race. Crit races are usually located in downtown areas on a short course where racers do dozens of laps and go by every few minutes, and there are a dozen different races throughout the day, teams and racers milling around. There's usually food, beer, product/promo tents, etc. There's usually an announcer calling the race, explaining what's happening and getting the crowd pumped up. It's a fun way to spend a Friday evening, and even if you know nothing about bike racing and have no interest in following the action closely, how could you not enjoy a few minutes walking around downtown having a beer or a hot dog and watching riders zipping by and pushing themselves?

I've never been to a pro road/stage race, but I would imagine the fun would be the "tailgate" experience throughout the day as you wait for the peloton to approach, and a chance to see pro-riders/teams/gear up close and after the finish. It seems like it would be a very different experience than a local/regional crit race series, but still would be fun. Obviously if you're traveling to a stage race, the travel would be a part of the fun as well.

I have no interest in professional marathon racing and don't do much running myself anymore, but I (along with thousands of others) still enjoy watching the Chicago Marathon run through our neighborhood every year in a similar fashion as enjoying that crit race in Elmhurst on a Friday night. I enjoy going out there with my young daughter to cheer on the racers and provide encouragement, enjoy the spectacle and awe at their accomplishments. We usually make a morning of it, and go get breakfast somewhere along the route, bring the dog, etc.