View Single Post
Old 02-28-20, 09:59 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
If this bike fits, I would definitely want to get some miles in on it before making any changes, since these bikes are darn-near perfect as-is.

Even for sporting club rides, dare I say maybe even a training ride, it will make a good rider with a freewheel size suited to the terrain.

I went to the trouble of finding 1/2" clipless pedals and making a 13-26t six-speed freewheel work with the original French-made derailers, but I kept the rest of the bike near stock, including the original kickstand. OK, I did also swap the bars/stem/seat/post and remove the protector discs (they were surprisingly heavy), but the bike's stock configuration (wheels, shifters, cranks, etc.) and especially the 73x73-degree frame geometry (vs. 70-degrees for a Continental) imo makes for a viable road bike even today!

Mine's definitely not in as nice condition paint-wise, but this color is very good at making the blems invisible from just a few feet away. I found mine on Craigslist and was happy to drive an hour just to check it out (and paid close to the asking price since the original rims turned out to be in top shape).

Likes For dddd: