View Single Post
Old 04-21-20, 03:40 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I really am taking this whole thing seriously. I wear a mask and gloves when I go out, and go out as little as possible.

That said, the other day, I sold a bike for the first time in years. It started with the COVID workspace challenge. After clearing out my garage/workshop, I really wanted to free up a hook in the garage. I was basically at max capacity, and had this over-sized Univega in the garage that never got used. The buyer met me at a nearby corner next to a bike path. We were both masked and both kept our distance. I'll add that I've sold about a dozen bikes on craigslist, and I have never had someone come check out a bike and not end up buying it on the spot (except one case where I had to talk a nice lady out of buying a wrong-sized bike). I do a good job fixing up the bikes and try not to overprice. So, it's not as if I've had a bunch of strangers coming over.

The other thing is that, after clearing out my workshop, I have far too many parts and wheels, and not enough frames on which to hang said parts and wheels. And now that I have a spare hook in my garage, I am in the market for a new (used) frame. N-1+1.
Great comment here, all the bikes I sold were flawless in the build, trued wheels, full tune, greased bearings, etc. One person who was trying to buy tried to complain about every small, minor detail and in the end decided that he really couldn't find anything and gave me full price.
Likes For mechanicmatt: