Old 06-15-20, 08:15 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I think your 28 spoke wheel will work fine with proper spokes and components. I've been riding a Shimano WH-RS10 wheelset with 16 spokes on the front. It has been very reliable for several months now hauling my 235lbs and bicycle. I keep a wary eye on this wheelset because of the lack of spokes. I ride it because it is so blazingly fast compared to my other Clyde wheelsets. Time will tell.
I'm pretty stoked to build this new front wheel. It will use the WR-50 rim from Light-Bicycle (32mm OD, 50mm deep), which will be well matched in width to the 32mm Rene Herse tire I'm using up front. The hub is the White Industries CLD, and the spokes are 14 CX-Sprint on the disc side, 14 CX-Ray on the non-disc side to better match the spokes with the lower non-disc side tension. I think it should be lighter and more aerodynamic than my current front wheel, which uses a 28mm wide 46mm deep rim and 36 CX-Sprint spokes. I already have the hub and spokes, and Light-Bicycle just shipped the rim, though it's taking the "slow-boat" route right now from China due to covid, and I'm not expecting it sooner than maybe another three weeks. When it's done my "AeroClyde" wheelset will have be 28f/36r which I think is excellent for a very heavy rider like me.