View Single Post
Old 06-17-20, 08:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
My son rides an old Ross American style 10 speed whose front chainrings have worn down to little knives rotating around. I suggested changing out these original one piece crank chainrings but he told me the bike shifted superbly and he didn't want to change them. They are behind a chrome chainguard which does protect your leg. I believe he will wear these down to nubs before he changes them. As you can see Ross helped the front derailler by only putting every other tooth on the sprocket which leads to higher wear. Like you I haven't really worn out chainrings as bad as this one is worn. I do split my rides equally between 3 bicycles and that does keep wear down. Good old American made bicycle still plying the streets.

The rings in your picture aren’t worn down. They were made that way. I can’t recall what kind of chainring that is but they were built that way with half the teeth and the teeth very pointed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!