Old 11-27-19, 02:30 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Slight setback on my journey to transfer my spare Di2 to the Revolt. Shop informed me that there is no hole in the frame large enough for the Di2 connector to the front derailleur. The wire itself will fit, but not the connector ends. So my options are:
  1. Go back to 105 mechanical
  2. Go to a 1X Di2 drivetrain and get a larger rear cassette to make up for the loss of some lower gears (the front will stay on the 50 chain of the 50/34 I assume)
  3. Go SRAM eTap
#3 is out right now because I don't want to spend that kind of money at the moment. I'm tempted by #2 and later on try to do a kluge workaround similar to what this guy on YouTube did, which was to remove the connector from the Di2 wire, run the wire through the hole, and then re-solder the connector back. So if I went with 2 I could eventually down the line connect the FD again once I do the soldering and cable running. Or likely just the soldering and then have the LBS do the cable run. We'll see. The shop owner is putting a call in to his contact in Giant to see what else could be done.

Here's what the YouTuber did to connect Di2 (corrected video, go to 10:10 mark or so):

Last edited by CarloM; 11-28-19 at 01:24 AM.