Old 12-03-19, 04:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Wait a minute- social media is outraged about something?!? I am shocked!***
I have seen that commercial a bunch of times, but its always an abridged version- I hadnt seen that the husband gave it to her for christmas. I always wondered(not really) why she was videoing herself then sharing it at the end.

1- That commercial sucks. Just plain sucks, whether you choose to see sexism or not. Its stupid.
- Why is she nervous to start riding it in her own home?...thats odd.
- Why keep the bike in the middle of their modern open concept main floor?
- Who keeps a vlog of their activity for a year to then splice and share with their spouse?!? I thankfully have actually important things to do- even laying on the couch is more important that that. My wife would agree with this too.
- If she didnt realize how the gift would change her, then why did she commit to vlogging the experience?...makes no sense.

2- After reading the article and some twitter outrage, I am convinced that those who find the commercial to be misogynistic or domineering or whatever are projecting. They are projecting their frustration, insecurities, or whatever onto the commercial's characters. A husband gets a present for his wife and she ends up using it a bunch and thanks him. Oh the horror!
- Perhaps they were at the mall, she saw the Peloton kiosk, and commented in an interested manner. Husband then decided to get it since she commented in interest. How is that bad?
- Perhaps she mentioned to her husband that she was struggling to dedicate time to exercise with all of life's responsibilities so the husband thought this would make exercising easier and more frequent. How is that bad?
- etc etc etc. There are tons of very realistic scenarios where this is a nice present and none of the cynicism projected by the outraged applies.

3- luxury item commercials always suck because the scenarios and situations seem absurd to most of us since, you know, they are absurd.