View Single Post
Old 08-16-18, 11:21 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
If I needed the convenience of a backpack throughout the day (such as college student) but commuted by bike, I'd be looking for one of the following:
  • Panniers that are large enough to hold a backpack.
  • Panniers that can BE a backpack.
Preferably the latter, since leaving panniers on the bike while it's parked during the day might encourage a theft of the panniers.

I have Ortlieb Shopper panniers (a set of two) for my aluminum road bike and find them great for commuting on those occasions when I'm able to commute, which is about once a week. They are easy to remove and carry around, but are not suitable replacements for a campus backpack.

I suggest going to the Oritlieb website and looking at whatever pannier seems to be most appropriate for carrying the type of stuff you commute with, and then purchasing the backpack adapter for that pannier:
Ortlieb Backpack Pannier Carrying-System

The reason I prefer a pannier on the bike over a backpack is sweat, ride comfort, and balance. I feel better balanced with a pannier on the side than a pack on my back. And am able usually to arrive without a soaked back, when I use a pannier. The Ortlieb backpack adapter seems like a cool way to take your pannier with you when you leave your bike at the rack. ...matter of fact, I may have to order one.