Thread: Jersey sizing
View Single Post
Old 06-26-20, 08:04 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
For Father's Day I requested new jerseys as I'm running low so my 3 kids and my wife all order some for me. I really like the designs they got, some rock related (Grateful Dead, the Police) and a few Giordana. All is well and good except that none of them even remotely fit me. I'm 5'7" and a little overweight at 185 pounds, but in regular clothes a large always fits. The Giordanas are XL and I couldn't even pull the zipper over me, the others are L and just barely would close. Yes, I get that most pro cyclists are toothpicks even if they are broad shouldered, but there's got to be sizes that fit us mere mortals. I know about race fit vs. club fit, and these are all race fit as far as I can tell. But that little stat isn't always included in the listings. I have 4 jerseys now that don't fit from this, and 2 others that I bought two years ago that I was able to wear back then, but no longer. Either I lose 40 pounds or I need a bigger size. At 65 I doubt I'll lose 40 pounds that easily. It seems silly to need a XXL. Are any brands cut with a little more room?
Primal sells giant jerseys.

Regardless, look at the size charts, ignore the letters, and opt for a looser (club vs. race) fit if you don't want your jersey to be snug.

Companies making regular mens clothing adopted vanity sizing allowing us to buy "smaller" clothes and not feel fat although the average American male has 30 pounds more flab than he did in 1960. 36" pants can have waistbands as large as 42".

Bicycle clothing companies have the same problem. Jerseys made for the same measurements can be small, medium, or large depending on the maker.

Most don't even make jerseys for people the size of professional cyclists or at least don't sell them outside their custom program.

As a 5'10", 136 pound climber with a 33" chest and 26" waist you'd be between XXXS and XXS on Louis Garneau's size charts although they don't sell anything smaller than XS to the general public or XXS in their custom program.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-26-20 at 09:31 AM.