Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi milmo,

The short answer in none (at least intentionally). My zone training is based on heart rate and for me zone 4 (around LT) starts at 159 bpm. I set an artificial "redline" of 155 bpm when I'm on the road. (When I'm on the track I don't have time to look at my computer.)

For example, on my 70 mile New Year's Day ride with clubmates (some of whom race), I had zero mile in zone 4. My track workout last Thursday had 35 seconds in zone 4. This time of year is pretty much base miles with a focus on leg speed and good pedaling technique.

BTW, my first races will be this month, but I don't race seriously until late March. Then the real fun begins.
It was great riding with you at LAV on Tuesday and Thursday. I did the pyramid workout and skipped the motor pacing on Tuesday. On Thursday, I did both. I rode in in Roger's group and my HR, for what it is worth, was 125 to 150. In the 50 lap motor pacing, I was pretty far back in the line so I did not get to the motor until 18 to go. According to my Garmin data, I had 3 minutes of between 160 and 170 bpm. I was using 90.6 gear inches spinning 115 rpm. At the motor, it was hard but I felt fine. It felt like a solid z4. But according to HR data, that would be a z5 or higher for me.

Needless to say, it was a blast and some of those guys are monsters. I do not think they know it is off season. They were all gearing up in the pit for the motor games.

My first race this year will be at LAV in the LAVRA cup.