Old 07-23-17, 05:28 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Tolleson Loop

Yesterday I rode to Tolleson and back. It was hot and muggy, 105 F & around 30% when I left around 4. Pix are here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57683002765063

The map is here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1096865982

I started out south on 23rd Ave to Indian School Rd. Then west to 27th Ave, south to the Grand Canal. Then west again. Right after crossing Grand Ave you cross the RR tracks.

[IMG]Crossing the Grand Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Continue west about a mile to 39th Ave. Turn south here.

[IMG]39th Ave Turnoff by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

39th Ave is one of the few minor roads that crosses the I10 Fwy. At Roosevelt St just south of I10 turn right. But 1st I rode east to shoot some murals at Butler Elementary School. There's a couple more in the album.

[IMG]Murals at Butler School by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now back to the west. From 43rd to 51st Aves Roosevelt makes a large curve. At 67th Ave you should go south to Garfield, then west to 71st Ave. Then you can get back on Roosevelt St. A big storm has been moving into the valley as the ride went on. The main part appears to be passing to my west. But I'm riding west towards it.

[IMG]Shady Spot by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Storm over Tolleson by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I turned south at the last photo, 79th Ave. Then west again at Van Buren Rd. At 83rd Ave you are in Tolleson. At 91st Ave you see the sign.

[IMG]Entering Tolleson by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Just west of here it started splattering drops on me. Not really rain but enough to get my glasses wet. It stopped within 5 min. At Cowden City Park next to the library I found this mural.

[IMG]Tolleson Mural by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here I rode west to 99th Ave then north. Though the sun was still up, the skies were dark. I could see local showers scattered around me. Wasn't sure if any were coming my way or not. At McDowell Rd I stopped at Firehouse Subs. The sub was good but pricey. There wasn't good bicycle parking but they had outside seating with umbrellas. So I locked my bike to one of their iron chairs and ate at the same table. The weather was warm and muggy but not as hot. While I ate the closest shower passed north to south to my west.

Now it's time to head home. Not the shortest route of course. East on McDowell Rd to 95th Ave. I used the crosswalk on the east side of the 101 to get to the north side of McDowell then salmoned to 95th. Decided to try some more shots of this leaky pipe.

[IMG]Leaky Pipe by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Waiting patiently by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now go north on 95th Ave. About a quarter mile or so make a left onto 93rd Ave. Keep going all the way to Pinchot Ave. Then go east to 91st Ave. From here work your way through the neighborhood to 87th Ave and ride north. Ride all the way to Missouri Ave.

[IMG]Sunset near Cardinals Stadium by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Turn east on Missouri. I crossed the Grand Canal near 79th Ave. It took a little doing because of construction along the bike path. At O'Neil Park near 64th Ave I stopped for a bio break. At 63rd Ave I turned north to Bethany Home Rd. Then east to 59th Ave. There are a couple of parks there but the lighting was pretty bad so I didn't stop to shoot anything. Some other day. From here I rode north to Maryland Ave. Then headed home.

32.1 mi
2 hrs 45 min riding time.
about 4.5 hrs total time
Note: I've been having neck problems. Really stiff and sore. Not generally riding. About half way thru the ride I realized that my normal forward position was a problem. I was holding my head up to see ahead and that was aggravating my neck muscles. After that I rode mostly in an upright position. Can't do that totally because in that position I can only get 4 fingertips on the handlebars. That seemed to fix the neck problem riding. But my rear end felt it. Can't win them all.