View Single Post
Old 07-12-18, 12:53 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
None of that can possibly be true! None of it. Wheelbase is what it is, unless you modify the frame. Changing the wheel size changes the wheel size. That has definite consequences for ergonomics, handling and also performance, but it does not alter intrinsics of the basic chassis configuration such as f/r weight distribution. As for 'making the handling more stable'. Oh boy, are you in for a shock. The reason no normal human can 'track stand' a recumbent but tens of thousands of ordinary Cat 5 road racers can at least approximate it on DF bikes is because the higher your eyepoint above your center of gravity the easier it is to find the balance equilibrium. You have much more time to react to the forces trying to destabilize you. Don't be in a hurry to sell those 700c wheels.

I don't know why you have to be so condescending and hostile.

1. My legs cannot reach the ground with 700cc wheels; hence that configuration is more unstable for me. Further, lower and smaller wheels are not as susceptible to cross-winds as larger wheels.

{edit: don't know why I would want or need to trackstand on a bent and FWIW, several people report the smaller wheels are more stable in the corners**

2. I did not simply switch out wheels; I also substituted a shorter fork, meaning the weight distribution WILL be biased more forward because the front end will be lower than it would be with a standard 700cc fork. (yes, I understand this also affects trail)
3. Regarding wheel base, I will give you that if measured from the center axle, it will remain the same, but smaller radius wheels mean the distance between the points of tire contact on the ground should be greater than with larger wheels.

This is not mine, but see: New Performer HR-FWD with Low Racer conversion - BentRider Online Forums

Last edited by Skankingbiker; 07-12-18 at 01:02 PM.