schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Great question, one that concerns most riders. Here are my thoughts:
1. Ride a lot before the tour. Every Spring, my first long rides are painful as my butt gets back in shape. The only cure is riding until my butt-toughness returns.
2. Get a good saddle. Brooks saddles have been mentioned here, my wife and I find Terry saddles specific to our genders work for us. They are expensive and worth every penny. Everyone's butt is different, and you may find other saddles that work better for you, keep looking.
3. Anti-chafing products make a big difference. I use Chamois Glide; other products include Chamois Butt'r, DZ Nutz, etc. On my first tour I skipped this preparation and had chafing so bad by the end of the second day that I didn't think I would be able to ride in the morning. Applying Chamois Glide was like a trip to Lourdes for me; I could miraculously ride the next day.
4. Clean, dry, good quality padded bike shorts help a lot. I take three pair so I have a pair to wear, a pair that is drying from hand-washing, plus a spare pair just in case. I don't need the $150 per pair styles, those are for young competitive riders, but I don't buy the bargain style either; I usually spend ~$80 per pair.

I hope this helps.