View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 11:38 PM
Ruthless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dnvrfox
this thread was started in august, 2004, by dnvrfox, shortly after founding the 50+ forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with dura ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

both are right. Read on for yourself.

over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

this is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

below is the original post.

(dnvrfox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

dnvrfox, the op
i thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 59

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Takara nobu 26 by 4
schwinn sidewinder mountain bike 26 by 1.95
this one will be a gravel bike it will always be a work in progress.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I'm supposed to

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Very much. In more than one way. Too many old injuries.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

I did when i was younger. Just getting back in the saddle. Thank goodness for fat bikes

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Very short rec rides

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Right now maybe 2 miles for this year
still falling over.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Originally Posted by dnvrfox
we have identified 46 of us who are 50+, including 9 who are 60-64.

I will be 65 soon, so i almost fit the next category. 65-69.

A couple of thoughts on some place (forum, thread, whatever) dedicated to folks 50+

1. Folks who are 50+ and who are considering starting a fitness program are at times quite unsure about themselves, what they can do, what goals might be appropriate, training techniques, etc. When they discover a forum such as bicycleforum in their search for answers, it may be comforting to see that they are not alone - that there are others engaged in similar pursuits.

I see a number of introductory posts like "at 52, i am old, but want to start getting exercise. Etc., etc." some folks think they are way over the hill at 50, likely because they feel that way. A senior place allows them to discover what other folks their age and older are doing in the way of fitness.

2. Some of the younger folks on the forum believe that someone 50+ is "elderly" and pretty much also over the hill. Likely this is the example that they have at home in their own family. I think it is eye=opening to some of them to see that folks 50+ go on centuries, tours, can ride litespeeds and airborne and bent's (not just "comfort" bikes) and bike 1000's of miles each year. Some weight lift, run and do other things. It is nice to have a place where they can see the combined "force" of 50+ riders at least in this forum, and may also give the younger folks the impetus to get their own family non-exercising members involved in some fitness activities.

3. Much of the perception of what folks 50+ can and should do fitness-wise, in the fitness world, in the press, in md's eyes, is generally very light modified exercises - that kind of thing. The things that folks 50+ do as expressed in this forum just blows that concept away.

But anyway, these are my thoughts.