Old 12-03-17, 10:11 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Mountain Biking in Manhattan

Manhattan has a wonderful little mountain-bike system tucked away in Highbridge Park. I was able to ride a bit of it last week on a commuter bike. Nice trails. The advanced loop kicked my butt.

Following are some photos. First is at Laight Street in Tribeca near where I began:

Screenshot_20171203-072754 (Small).png

Then after 12.some miles of pedaling I found the dirt jumps. I did not attempt the ones in the photo, but I did roll some of the easy ones that are out of the shot.

Screenshot_20171203-072243 (Small).png

Picking up the singletrack near the jump line, I was able to eventually work my around to what I think must be the official starting point. Getting there was an adventure. I ended up on an advanced loop that kicked my butt. Did some hike-a-bike to bail out to a sidewalk. Then had to pedal up a stonking steep hill to get to where I took this image:

Screenshot_20171203-072000 (Small).png

I really enjoyed the Hudson River Greenway going up. Nice scenery. Here are some phone booths that I came across. Props to anyone who can tell me where they are. I ran across them because I was thirsty and there was this Gatorade machine nearby...

Screenshot_20171203-072552 (Small).png

Also I ended up climbing these steps while navigating my way back to the greenway:

Screenshot_20171203-074043 (Small).png

Also where I live we don't normally see grocery stores tucked underneath highway overpasses. Part of what I love about NYC is seeing things like this that I don't normally encounter:

Screenshot_20171203-072453 (Small).png

The feel of Upper Manhattan is different from what I'm accustomed to in Soho and Midtown. Just navigating around on the streets and absorbing what it was like to be there was a lot of fun. Here's a random shot that I guess I took mainly because I liked the lighting:

Screenshot_20171203-074049 (Small).png

Can't believe how lucky I got on the weather. Sixties and sunny. Met some nice people. Stopped at a skate park to ask directions and met a man from the Dominican. We ended up chatting for maybe a half hour or more. Fun experience. Enjoyed every minute.