View Single Post
Old 10-02-20, 09:38 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I can't answer the technical aspects of recording the data of which you speak. How is that information valuable to you?

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. Do you look back over your notes a month later? If you feel your performance was better on one day over the rest of the week or month, what benefit is that? Lots of stuff affects my ride, from headwinds (both strength and direction), to the humidity/temperature, how much wine I drank the night before, whether I slept well or not, and the other miles ridden in the previous three or four days.

I might have a passing interest in noting the trend of my average speed, month to month, but in general, I mostly just try to be close to exhausted at the end of every ride. Shorter rides tend to be a bit faster than longer rides, but the end of the ride is where I sprint: a half mile, a mile or two, or five miles. Whatever I calculate will deplete my strength. The ride is the challenge and the reward, be it a short 36 miles or a ~60+ mile endurance building ride to prepare for a destination tour, depending on the constraints of time available.

I don't mean to sound harsh or dismissive to your documentation. Maybe it's the difference in our ages, and I'm guessing you are young. I'm not. I've carried a pocket notepad with me on destination rides, and I never wrote down a single thing. My gf logs the miles and average speed on her calendar, but we never do anything with the information. Once, we totaled the miles ridden in a month, just to see. We felt good about the number, but we don't check it often, because we simply ride as much as possible, with as much effort as possible, which varies due to various factors. At the end of nearly every ride, we say to each other, "That was a great ride." It's not rocket surgery.