View Single Post
Old 10-17-20, 03:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
Back on topic...as far as "welding being a trade," I'm of the belief that it's NOT. Specifically, in order for it to be a "trade" someone would have to be able to make a living welding all day long, and that's very rare. In todays world welding is a skill that helps a person fulfill a task. Much as machining is. Actually, I'd call machining a broader trade than welding, since it involves a lot more processes. Welding may have been a trade back in the glory days of the USA's heavy industry, but not now.
There are still certified welders in the aircraft industry, piping industry, heavy construction, etc. Bridges?

Often somewhat specialized, and perhaps some multi-process. Also, using more robotics and automation.

Welders are also used in the repair industry, including auto restoration and repair. And, depending on the shop size and organization, some may do mostly a single task like welding, painting, etc.

Trailers and motorhomes? Custom coaches? Buses?

Around here, we have positions called "millwrights" that build and maintain mills and equipment.

No, not all mills have been shipped overseas. There is a good chance if you buy a 2x4 at your local building store, it was made somewhere in the Northwest.

Don't forget not all companies are huge sprawling companies like Ford or GM with robotics everywhere. We've got a local tractor accessory company, as well as a local rock crusher company, and I believe they have generally specialized welders working there.

And,don't forget the bicycle industry. We have 2 local bike manufacturers with worldwide renown that either weld or braze steel frames. I assume the work is somewhat vertical from start to finish, but some people would do mostly welding or brazing and assembly.
Likes For CliffordK: