Old 12-14-20, 12:55 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
I don't think there was a different hybrid in the "Rock" family. When MTB's took off, Specialized (and, notably, Bridgestone) thought that the intermediate bike people would want was basically an MTB with a wide drop bar. Thus the RockCombo and Bridgestone XO series. But the popular hybrid turned out to be opposite - a road-ish bike with 700c wheels and flat handlebars. So between 1989 and 1990 Specialized killed the RockCombo and came out with the CrossRoads family.
I have a very good condition Specialized Sequoia frameset from 92/93 when they took a Rockhopper (?) frame and moved the cantilever bosses up to fit a 700c frame. They also added a boss under the seat cluster for a lever to control a union dynamo light. I'm pretty sure it came with flat bars and was marketed as an urban commuter bike. One of these days I'm going to put some drop bars on it and see how it rides. I was going to build it up for my wife, but then I got a Cannondale ST400 frame that would fit 35s with fenders while this supposedly would only fit 32s (or maybe I got that backwards, not sure), so I built that for her instead.