Old 12-30-13, 02:27 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Ooozing testosterone . . . don't some of us wish. There are whole threads on supplementing T. Of course you have a point.

You betcha group rides create pacing problems. That's the whole idea! As it is said, we don't train in spite of the pain, we train because of the pain. Not that we like pain, but pain is inevitable. And as it is inevitable, we bank the pain because we'll need to make withdrawals later. I realize that's kind of a hard-ass view, but the women I ride with, and our group is about 50-50, also have come to that view. It's simply more fun to move the bike up the road. I say that you can have a license to fly, but you have to make installment payments.

Have you mentioned what bike you are riding, what tires, what wheels, what gearing (front and back), techie stuff like that?

The general program is to prioritize the distance goals. However and ahem and like that. There's this concept of arousal. Really. Like on the trainer or just going out for a ride by myself, I might have a hard time getting my HR over 142. It hurts and makes my legs feel tired. But put me on a long hill with a fast group on my wheel and I have no trouble hitting 160 and feeling great. Yes, it's all hormones, but not particularly testosterone. I can testify that women feel it just as much as men.

When I was starting out trying to ride distance, I would ride away from home until I was exhausted and then ride back. That's the basic formula. Pushing you a little . . . find a group that's just a little faster than you are now when you're at full stretch, if you can. You want a group that you can at least still see ahead of you on a hill. They're the carrot. Ride their route until you've had enough and are getting dropped worse, then break off and finish out your planned distance. I say, if you can still walk when you're finished, you could have gone harder. This will teach you everything you need to know about nutrition, hydration, cramping (always bring Tums), bike handling, and everything else you'll need to know. Watch them closely. Do what they do. Stand when they stand, sit when they sit. Go hard when they surge, back off when they do. Look like they do, except wear brighter clothing. Stay at the back if they'll let you. Ask questions. Learn.

The tactic is to hold the effort. Almost every group ride will climb like crazy and then back off when they crest. These aren't races, they're training rides. So when you crest and you're behind, you don't back off. You get them back and hold their wheel until the blood starts from your eyesockets. Never give up. If you do that, it'll get easier quite quickly.

The big lesson is how to finish anyway. But be careful: it's addictive.
I have a Trek Lexa S. I didn't really overthink it when I bought the bike, I just googled "women's entry level road bikes" and got a list of prospects. I bought the bike at the first shop I went to because the guy was willing to sell it to me for $600, which was a good price. Mr. H thought I should shop around more, but I figured I really had no idea what I was looking for. My thinking was that I was better off just buying the cheapest decent bike I could find and then replacing it eventully if I liked cycling and when I had some idea what I as looking for. I still have the bike as I bought it from the shop, except I put Look brand plastic pedals on it. I haven't even ever had tuned it up (although I suppose I should probably do this now), not even a flat tire yet. I am very open to buying a new bike but I was thinking I would see how the Palm Springs ride went. I like the bike but sometimes wish I had more gears.

My bike's specs (honestly I don't know what half of this means, I copied and pasted from the Trek website):

Frameset
Frame:100 Series Alpha Aluminum
Fork: Trek carbon road, SpeedTrap compatible
Size: 52 cm
Frame fit: H3 WSD

Wheels
Wheels: Alloy hubs w/Bontrager Approved alloy rims
Tires: Bontrager T1, 700x23c

Drivetrain
Shifters: Shimano Sora STI, 9 speed
Front derailleur: Shimano Sora
Rear derailleur: Shimano Sora
Crank: FSA Vero, 50/34 (compact)
Cassette: SRAM PG-950 11-28, 9 speed
Pedals: Look plastic

Components
Saddle: Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD
Seatpost: Bontrager SSR,12mm offset
Handlebar: Bontrager Race VR-S, 31.8mm
Stem: Bontrager SSR, 31.8mm, 10 degree
Headset: 1-1/8" semi-cartridge bearings
Brakeset: Alloy dual-pivot

I'm still not sure about the group rides. My goal last Sat was 66 miles, I added mileage up a little wrong in my head and wound up riding 67.5. The last 4 miles were uphill with a headwind. I almost called Mr. SAG to come get me with a mile to go. I was really wiped out the rest of that day and then amazingly was pretty much fine the next day. I thought I had over-done things, so its not like I'm taking it totally easy. I did call one of the LBS today though. There's a slow approx 40 mi ride every Sat, the guy who answered the phone wasn't 100% sure of the pace but he thinks around 15 mph. So I am actually thinking about it. Maybe those last 2-3 weeks of training when (if?) I've hit the three target distances- 73, 80, then 97 mi.

H