Old 10-21-18, 03:20 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
  • Using a cargo trailer. -> Trailers are quite expensive! Also, storing the trailer will be tricky, because our basement entrance is not the widest.
Alright guys, I've sort of thrown things overboard. I found a good deal on a used Bob Yak and went for it. It's narrow, so it fits into the basement. The good thing is, that I'm not stretching capabilities with this one, but actually have some space and weight to play with - with the usual grocery run weight and volume.
I will still replace my broken milk crate (rack top) which should now last longer, since it's now not as over-strained as before anymore.

But I really like the ideas that have come up here, so thanks everyone! I will keep playing with the thoughts of mounting things on the rack sides. This could be additional milk crates; but more prominently, I have been thinking of ways to (optionally) mount panniers underneath the center milk crate without removing it. I already had some ideas for that in my mind, but this discussion has most definitely refined them

In a way the trailer probably counts as N+1/2
Xtracycles are (theoretically) quite interesting, especially because I could also carry people this way (even though I really don't need this feature right now). How do they handle in (Canadian) winter (leaving the salt/rust/dirt issue aside)? It's a long wheelbase, but the rider sits far forward, which gives me the impression it would handle quite badly in deeper snow where sliding/skiing starts. OTOH, let's see how it's going to be with a trailer in these conditions. I'll have to touch up a few dings before winter starts and then keep it nice and shiny.