Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Got the bike in!

I was a little unsure of the sizing. My height (5’-10”) indicates a Med or Large, but going off the published geo numbers, I would fit the Small with a 50-60mm stem (based on how all my previous mtbs have fit). Interestingly, the only mtb I’ve ever owned that was a small - rather than a Med or Large - was another Surly (Karate Monkey).

The shop ordered a Small and let me take it out for a week to see if the fit was right. I just had to return it clean and unharmed.

Turns out the Small with a 60mm stem and a 720 - 750mm bar fits like a glove. I tried a longer stem to see if a Med might be worth looking at, but it was too long. The only thing that gives me pause is the 10-1/2” of seat post showing, but I am within the minimum insertion.

Did a number of rides around the neighborhood over the course of a few days as I messed around with stems, spacers, bar width, and saddle position. After settling (for now) on a 750mm bar width and the stock 60mm stem, I took the bike on a real ride on some real trails. Mostly old-school stuff with lots of rocks and roots with some climbing and descents. It was 32 degrees and the trails had a lot of leaves and partially frozen mud.

This bike was a blast. I don’t remember to many specifics about the fat bikes I demoed in the past, just that they were not particularly fun. Like driving buses. This was not like that at all, even though it is pretty slow pedaling compared to me standard mtbs.

I was really amazed how this just climbed through mud and muck with leaves without slipping, and - more importantly - not tearing up the trail.

So I will continue to mull this over for a couple more days to see if there is good reason to consider a Med (with a 40mm stem I should have the same fit), but otherwise I am going to buy this.

Here is a pic. The dork disc and reflectors have to stay on until I decide to buy it. The tennis ball is covering an uncut steer tube (need to leave that uncut for now as well).

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-03-19 at 10:00 AM.