View Single Post
Old 01-17-19, 07:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Any close calls recently?

This past Tuesday I was riding on a dark two lane, but lightly traveled suburban road, as the car commuters were starting to come out. In my winter dress swaddling my head and neck, my head mobility and peripheral vision is restricted though I use a rearview eyeglass mounted mirror.

I came to a four-way intersection for a left turn, and though the coast was clear, instead of taking the far left of my lane and turning, I decided to cross the lane since it was clear, stop at a median, look for oncoming cars, and then proceed (perpendicular to the road) through my turn.

Well I didn’t notice the edge of the brick curb (not a light-colored concrete one), even with my headlight, because there was little contrast between the curb edge and the blacktop road surface, and down I went into the middle of the oncoming lane.

I couldn’t get up quickly because my left foot was still engaged on the clipless pedal and as I was lying on my side on the ground, I couldn’t get enough leverage to disengage.Of course by now a car was coming up in my direction. Fortunately the driver stopped, got out and relieved me of my bike. I quicly went to the side of the road and re-claimed myself, and rode on to work.

Eventually the left knee grew more sore and I stayed overnight at work to rest it. Today (Thursday) it’s notably better. In decades of cycling, I have had a couple of accidents,hitting obscure obstacles when I abandon my standard riding practices in an attempt to be more safe.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-17-19 at 08:48 AM.