Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
@SquidPuppet
(Quote) "[N]ew bikes are all pretty garbage unless you get into the 1000 dollar range."

So your saying the new $400 to $900 bikes by the major LBS only brands are garbage?

This is to say the least, disappointing news, since I (and many hundreds of thousands - if not millions) of other riders cannot afford $600 - let alone $1,000 plus for a bike.

I have been car free for over 20 years. The most expensive new bike I have is a 2004 Giant Cypress DX. If memory serves, it was under $500 when my then boss bought it for my birthday in 2004.

More recently, I bought a 2017 Miami Sun "Traditional" trike, with the optional 7 speed.
To date, I've not had any problems after roughly 1,000 miles. I paid $450 for it,plus accessories.
My first Miami Sun "Traditional" trike (a single speed, with no rear brake) I bought used, in Tampa, Florida. After over 20,000 miles on it, the only "problems" were I had to replace the tires after roughly 11,000 miles, and replace the brake cable at around 10,000 miles. (Plus whatever miles the previous owner(s) put on it.)
Oh, and the sealed rear axle bearings started squeezing maybe 500 miles ago.
NOTE: I was ALWAYS pulling a 4 wheel garden/nursery cart/trailer with a 1,000 pound load limit behind that trike. (The trailer was only overloaded maybe 300 times)

If these are examples of "garbage" I guess I don't need a "good" bike.
You quoted me, but I did NOT say that. I said the opposite. Re-read the thread perhaps.