Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Thinking about my second winter on a trainer

This is me just blabbing.

To set the stage, started riding bikes in late fall 2018, didn't touch the bike all winter 2018-2019 then got back on the bike in spring 2019. Last fall I was being treated for Lymes Disease so I missed riding anything for all of September and October. By November 1st I had remembered that I stuffed a used trainer in my garage and got it out started tinkering with it. By Mid November I had it up and running with Zwift.

During last winter I got my bike outside exactly 2 times. Once in December and then again in the Feb. thaw, both group rides, about a total of 50 miles. The rest of my riding was on the trainer, that lasted until May. From then to mid October 90% of my riding has been outside, a mixture of rail trail on my hybrid and road in the hills on my road bike. The trainer really brought my performance level up, I'm quite pleased about that.

There are nice days to come but I'm finding myself on the trainer more for the last 3 weeks because by the time I get home from work it's dark and it's starting to get cold outside. I'm going to get out on at least the rail trails more this winter than last as time and weather permits but again most of my training will be on the trainer and I'm trying to decide on a plan to train for next year. Thing is I'm not exactly what I want to accomplish next year I think I'm going to plan for big hill climbing for early in the season 2021 then switch to endurance riding by mid summer. I'm planning on riding in the "Ben to the Shore" Bike tour Philadelphia to Atlantic City which should be end of July, this is 65 flat miles. Not a race but I want to get as close to an average speed of 20 MPH as possible with no or maybe one stop, this should put me on the beach by 10:30-10:45 AM. Just something I want to do. I did say from the beginning I was babbling.

I do not like cold weather at all. So would any like minded thinkers would like to discuss training plans for this upcoming winter? Maybe maybe not?