Old 10-19-20, 05:16 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I convert from road to trainer, and once I do I stay there until the roads are passable again. For me it's a totally different mentality than road riding. And even though it's the same bike, for some reason it feels a lot different. But I like Zwifting. It's a nice change of pace from the usual roads I've been riding for months, so it's like a fresh start every fall. Keep the interest up.

FWIW, I used to ride all winter, as long as the roads were passable. But increased traffic in my area has made it something I no longer want to do. So I Zwift. Which is a shame. Why? The gear. Lights alone have improved drastically since I started night riding about 25 years ago. My first real headlight, a Nite Rider unit, put out 500 lumens and needed a "bear can" battery to last a little more than an hour. Now I have a small and very light unit that puts out 800 lumens for 90 minutes and the battery is built in. The magic of LEDs, i guess. Also, the clothing is way better for cold weather riding. But back then there were no smart trainers or Zwift, so there wasn't a real good alternative like we have now. I liked the peace and quiet of night riding back then, but, well, that's impossible to find now.