burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Bikes are a bit "too" efficient, it doesn't burn a lot of calories when riding at a moderate pace.

A good rule of thumb is around 20-25 calories per mile, often closer to 20. (Long climbs and pushing a fast pace burns more of course.) So a 30 mile ride might only be 600 calories.

~~~
I would come home from a fairly fast group ride and eat a lot of food, I was hungry and tired. It's likely that was a net calorie gain!

A long, steady easy effort ("Zone 2" heart rate) can be good. It's a pace where you can recite the whole alphabet in one breath, where your breathing is easy. A longer ride at this pace can help your body to burn fat reserves instead of carbs, and I'm often not overly hungry afterwards.

A hard ride, with intervals of full effort mixed with easier recovery riding, is good for boosting your cycling muscles. Maybe once a week.
A good reason to set goals in whatever your sport is and get stronger.

A person new to riding may only burn 400 KJ in an hour. A low level racer or fast A-group rider might be able to squeeze 800 KJ in an hour.

Multiply a difference of 400 KJ across several workouts per month and that's a lot of extra energy spent!