Thread: RIP Buddy
View Single Post
Old 01-25-20, 01:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
It is interesting that non cyclists view this topic and some feel that there is no reason someone should be on the road with a bicycle when the road is meant for cars. I get this from people who do not ride a lot . These are seemingly well meaning individuals. What these folks don’t understand is the danger in not respecting the space of another human being on a bike. Unfortunately sometimes it is too late when they finally get the message. It doesn’t matter if you believe someone should or shouldn’t be on a bike , it is another human being and one poor decision and that life comes to an end. No turning back!
I simply point out to these folks that public roads are for the use of everyone and that gasoline taxes and vehicle registration fees fall far short of covering the cost of non-Interstate construction and maintenance. We are legitimate users with full rights and responsibilities, and entitled to as much respect as any others.

Today I ride far less than I used to, and far less than I would like to, in response to an entire generation of phone-distracted motorists and a new generation of cars with inherently dangerously distracting touch screen controls. (Future daughter-in-law number 2 drives a Model 3, and my son likes everything about the car except the damn touch screen. Off topic -- it's also pretty stupid to design a car in which the rear window has to roll down 1/4" so that the door can be opened. One major, one minor strike against an otherwise trend-setting and well-engineered car.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069