Old 07-14-19, 03:33 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Started @ 244 lbs... still over 200 a year later when I tried a 15 year old move at the age of 53.... To avoid a speed bump, tried to hop the bike ("done it a million times") into the gutter and back onto the asphalt.... It was a cold December morning, pre-dawn, after a night of rain and wind... wet leaves in the gutter.... Into the gutter was easy, but the tires slipped trying to get out and I panic clamped the brakes! At one point the rear tire and my arse were poised in time above the front tire and my head. Slowest crash to the ground I ever experienced, with time to tuck and land on my right upper arm (read, later, that I shouldn't do that). That morning my wife had suggested wearing my bomber jacket against the cold weather. She probably saved me from permanent injury

Within the summer, the rims had had it! A mechanic told me that bontrager rims on that bike were not made for 200 lb gorillas (my characterization) to jump curbs with.

Replaced that summer with Sunrims Rhino Lites... still riding them today and super satisfied. A reviewer characterized them as "bomb proof". Surely seem to be